… and so my bucket list requires a second page with the countdown to a peak birthday gaining on me this week.
Thus, page two… (because as you have read in previous posts, I have been honored already with much love, adventure, misadventure, travel, professional moments and health/family/heartbreak experiences that many don’t see in their FIRST 44+ years.)
- Learn to surf. Without hitting my head on a rock or being eaten by a shark. No interest in the perfect wave, just up once balanced on the board and in the breath. (And not like the windsurfing experience in high school where the coaches had to bring me back in a boat before floating out to sea off a Bermuda inlet.)
- Master (ok, stay afloat) my own Kayak. Still aiming for Madonna-like arms at 45. @Goldsgym has a rowing machine, but with Evanesence and Jack Johnson on my ear phones, it simply isn’t the same as water, waves and Mother Nature taking care of me.
- Be published. (Beyond front page news as “spokesman” or a simple niche trade journal article.)
- Hike/Raft the Grand Canyon with new friends I meet also new to the backpack life. (love the movie @WILD though showering more often than four states would be my preference.)
- Move out West.
- Dharma (our calling) is different for all. Title and money mean little. Legacy is based on love and meaning. Model integrity and remind others that legacy lives far beyond what they see of themselves.
- Be courageous enough to tell my family that healing is a calling, and Yogic philosophy/Reiki (energy work) is real. No, it isn’t a PhD, but a higher power is with us.
- Use my professional gifts to help friends see their dreams and legacy become a reality.
- Visit Greece.
- Trial a batting cage.
- Sit ON the infamous Hollywood sign in LA to see the view (ssshhhhh, think this might not exactly be supported by local law enforcement.)
- Be cancer-free and finally get the honor to ring the damn bell! We are coming up on year five. I am so over this word and scene!
- Take my daughter, mom, bonus mom and sisters-in-law (on me) for a weekend at Kripalu, the largest yoga and Ayurvedic school in the country. We will practice gratitude in our own wise women’s circle and engage something that they too add to their bucket list of adventure… #family first.
- Skydive (but not until my sweet teen is grown and on her own)
- Hike and put my feet in the ocean in the same day
- Own a jeep and laugh when it rains on me, b/c I’m old and can afford to have it cleaned. And who really cares!
- Be the best Auntie M I can be to my sweet niece.
- Set and stay true to consequences for the teenage daughter who trials her verbal skills each and every day with me. Find the balance between pride at her persistence but remain the trusted, sacred mom not just “friend.”
- Release worry, anger and count my blessings each and every day. Gratitude is our choice to give and practice.
- Recognize and accept unconditional love in the smart, loyal, sexy man I have yet to meet. (plus, many prayers for bonus children that come with loving us.)
- Ensure my baby girl always feels loved and knows I have her back. For good. For always.
Don’t waste your funding solicitations, @AARP. I’m far too young for membership.
And btw- please rebrand yourself. So few retire at 50 these days, it is a sad reality when I remind folks we are closer to your membership age status than the public launch of the internet.
Om Shanti (peace) and #bebold