curiosity killed the cat.
- What the hell does that even mean?*
- Why is the first time your teenager tells you, “you are the worst mom, ever”, your therapist tells you, “congratulations, this is healthy development and a necessary separation for her growth”?
- How is possible to be terrified and excited at the same time?
- How is gray hair a sign of wisdom?
- Why does “doing the right thing” sometimes hurt so much?
- Why is learning to breathe a technique? (And lol, there are many that I teach that DO actually work to either heat up the body or calm. (Let’s just say Nadi Shodna in traffic looks like I’m picking my nose.))
- Why does “fake it till you make it” actually work?
- Why doesn’t the St. Louis Bread Co / Panera Bread market a ‘morning happy hour’ or ‘speed dating’ concept for the 70+ crowd? I’ve been there with my mom. She talks to strangers naturally, hugs and touches shoulders of those she doesn’t know well, enjoys the low key coffee and pastries. It’s perfect. They talk about their ailments, what cousin’s cousin’s children are married or single while they pass around grand-baby photos with their shared reading glasses. The coffee wraps could be used for collecting phone numbers.
- Why is being with the people we love the most in the world, and who love us to infinity as well, so darn stressful at a holiday?
- When did I become the subject of my own teaching on “the dark side of consumerism”? Yes, binge-watching Netflix newly released, ‘House of Cards’ in one weekend should be a text-book case study. The a-ha moment in class as I admitted my addiction stunned even me.
- Why can’t Apple add a photo feature so my male, British speaking Siri is looking at me when he speaks?
- Why doesn’t the school system allow the parents a choice in our children growing older? I offer every year, but no.
- Why is it easier for me to trash the greasy, thick, sloppy, ‘left in sink’ too long pan, than wash?
- Or better, rerun the dish washer so you can postpone emptying?
- Why does mouthwash taste so awful? And for that matter, the prep beverage for a colonoscopy? Seriously, markete(e)r friends, simple economics…. consumers pay a price to meet a need. Price increases as demand increases.
- Why did anyone let me buy a condo with a balcony outside my soon-to-be high school blonde beauty’s bed room? (Probably not appropriate to use Rapunzel and “conceal and carry” in the same sentence. It isn’t like I’m a stranger or ever a saint to the teenage sneak factor.)
- How can I remember details of a professional contact from five years ago: know their political affiliation, connection to others in my network, what Board positions they hold, recall what school they graduated and know they are cousins with a hottie who has a knack for great jokes, but ………I can’t remember what I made for dinner last night?
- I have convinced myself grapes with pizza is a meal. Not really a question but probably should be.
- Why is laundry, picking up the dog poo, or unloading groceries called a chore for the teenager but it is real life for the parent? I call it, “You live here, you help, you eat.”
- St. Murphy struck on St. Patrick’s Day. Why did my teenager find the container of corn in the microwave 24 hours AFTER it was to be a compliment to our evening meal?
And finally, why DIDN’T my $4K lasik procedure guarantee that BAM, one month after my early 40s birthday, I wouldn’t need these silly readers to make my curious observations? When I had to wear glasses, I disliked them. Now, I forget they are on my own head.
Cheers to never-ending curiosity,