An ode to simplicity, compliments of our pioneering Pilgrims…
A pilgrimage is a journey. Risk, devotion, loss, prayer, focus, faith, family, truth and fear.
And while a gluttonous adventure of food, football and fun is indeed to be had this week, we must embrace and appreciate sacrifice of those early pioneers whose pilgrimage affords today’s tiny delights.
An ode is intended to be sung. I would recommend the following tiny delights of gratitude are melodically embraced on thanksgiving eve to the classic, Jim Neighbors’, “Go tell it on the mountain”…
(ideally just after the reflection, and as Uncle Earl is sharpening the carving knives.)
Finding grace and gratitude in simple things:
- The Butterball people
- Dr. Seuss
- People’s annual issue of the Sexiest Man Alive
- White twinkle lights
- Reality television that turns everyday folks into front page tabloid fodder and/or a millionaire
- A Presidential front runner with a signature swoop and campaign slogan that should read, “Drump (on) Power.”
- Peanut butter and protein shakes
- Competitive sporting events bringing millions of people together, each simultaneously focused on peace, admiration and contagious energy.
- Neighbors who not only embrace, but also glitter their lawn with a Home Depot warehouse full of holiday cheer and plastic artwork (stealing a selfie once they head to bed makes for a fun online post)
- Ice skating while holding hands and giggling under a twinkling moon on a cold winter night
- Free speech and equal pay (oops- $.79 to the $1.00 isn’t equal)
- The ballet
- My cozy Tempur-pedic, plush and inviting, with it’s crisp white Westin-like duvet and down pillows
- Glitter and Swarovski crystals
- Erasers and spell check
- Maraschino cherries
- Hand-written notes
- A lavender or lemongrass-scented bubble bath
- Gerberas or tulips that arrive at your front door for no reason
- The beautiful (and oh yeah, talented) Canadian Tenors
- A Coach Swagger handbag
- My signature red lipstick, sassy boots and a little black dress
- Technology that keeps friends and family close, across a country, across an ocean
And obviously a more serious thank you to our pioneering founders…..the evolution to high end toilet paper, dental hygiene and wet wipes.
Come from a place of peace. Act with grace. Get your ode on, and thank a pilgrim this Thanksgiving.